Using the TATool
User's Guide to the TATool
- Getting Started
download and install
the Java Web Start
plugin before you can use the tool.
Currently Java Web Start only works on PC and Linux machines.
If you have a Mac you will need to use one of the PCs in the
patch for the first assignment. We are working on getting a
version of Java Web Start running on Macs, but it will take
a few more weeks.
Try out TATool as a guest.
Clicking on this pops up a login window.
Replace the "guest" unetid with "guest-YOURUNETID"
and then press start. This should bring up a guest version of the tool.
If this works then select File->Quit, and continue with the next step.
- Complete the TATool Registration Form.
This will ask for your unetid and for a pseudonym and passphrase to be used for anonymous grade reporting.
Run TATool as yourself
by clicking on the link to start a TATool session.
This will pop up a window in which you should enter your unetid
(without the "@brandeis" suffix)
- and enter your TATool passphrase you selected on the registration form above.
- Click the "register" button and this opens a window in which you can cut and paste your hw1.html file to be
uploaded to the server.
- To upload the html file,
Next time you want to upload or modify a file, click on the TATool link above and
repeat the process. You do not need to download JavaWebStart each time, once will suffice.
- select the Server->Upload menu item.
- This pops up a file selector
- Write "hw1.html" in the "file:" textfield at the bottom of the window.
- Click on the save button.
- This will save your file on the server.
- To view the file, visit the
CS2a/Aut01 file server pages and select your unetid.
If you have any trouble with the TATool, you
can visit one of the TAs
or send mail to Tim Hickey at