Page last updated
18 Mar 98. Created page.
Unimog S-404 Safari expedition options for M180 engine
This information was supplied by Manfred Princz.
The following modifications should be considered when
preparing a Unimog-S 404 with the M180 engine for
1. Raised air-intake with cyclone pre-filter SA 35130 which
1 Raised air-intake 404 550 09 57
1 Pre-filter 006 094 17 02
2. Tropical cooling pulley SA 35464 consisting
1 Pulley 180 200 23 05
2 Drive belts 007753 009506
3. Additional fuel pump (electric) to overcome vapor-lock in
hot climates SA 35198
4. Tropical battery SA 35035
5. Lampguards for headlamps SA 35424
6. Exhaust-heat deflection shield 404 490 00 30 on
passenger side. Fitted as standard from chassis .. 13900
7. Heat-insulation for engine and header tank SA 35174
1 Cover 404 610 00 28
1 Cover 404 880 00 59
8. According to gross vehicle weight, check whether brake
booster SA 35302 and HD springs SA 35254 are necessary
(required by law for vehicles exceeding 5,250 kgs GVW).
9. When axle loadings exceed 2,500 kgs, 8PR tires to be
10. For vehicles fitted with a box-type body, rear
stabilizer SA 35565 to be fitted.
11. An extra spare wheel.
12. Front-mounted mechanical recovery winch WERNER F64 M1 SE
with 5,000 kp line-pull with mounting brackets and 40m/
12mm or 50m/10mm cable. Requires gearbox PTO and shaft
13. Portable handlamp 000 583 35 19
14. Mesh-strainer for fuel filler 435 470 00 06
15. Lockable fuel filler cap 000 471 67 30
16. Larger steering wheel 000 464 09 01
Please note that some items may no longer be available from MB
main dealers but only from specialist suppliers.
The abbreviation (SA) refers to a particular
'Sonderausfuehrung' i.e. special version used to tailor a
Unimog to a specific application and denotes the spare parts
microfiche that fully describes the associated components in
the build specification.
All MB products i.e. passenger cars, trucks, Unimogs and buses
are originally supplied with a data card describing all SAs
incorporated into a particular vehicle. This data card is
often essential to allow the correct identification of
partnumbers by the MB service organization and on the basis of
a given VIN, the engine and serial numbers of transmission
assemblies can also be determined. The worldwide MB dealer
network has access to such information via the factory for all
Take me back to the Unimog-S 404 FAQ.